"Because life is fragile and death inevitable, we must make the most of each day."
President Thomas S. Monson

Monday, June 30, 2008

June 29th, 2008...One Year Later






Yesterday was simply perfect!


I spent part of Saturday making ribbons for friends and people at church to wear to remember Amberlee. The ribbons were purple, as was everything from this day. I believe I have mentioned this before...but purple is the color that is used as a symbol for the protection of children in and around vehicles. It was also Amberlee's best color!


Well it was a miracle =), but we made it to Church early. I passed out ribbons to everyone that I could. I was really worried about being at Church, because it starts at 9:00 am and Sacrament runs to 10:15am. Amberlee passed away @ 9:41 am, so I was concerned I would break down in the middle of Sacrament. My worries never came to fruition. I am extremely grateful for everybody's willingness to wear these ribbons. I looked around church, and almost everybody was wearing one, and it was such a comfort...because I realized everyone supports us still even one year later. Their faith gave me strength through Sacrament...and 9:41 am peacefully came and went, and I was ok. I got to spend 3 hours looking at these beautiful yet simple ribbons, and remembering her spirit and life...with Joy, instead of pain. Thank you!


At about 6pm, after a nice nap, our friends/family began to show up at our house. They even showed up on time. We talked a bit, and some gave us letters for Amberlee. We then watched 2 videos that friends created for her memory. Afterward...and almost at sunset we drove to the cemetary. We were a little concerned because the wind was blowing so hard, and we planned on using candles.


side note: the Native American's believe that when the wind is blowing, spirits are around you, on Amberlee's Birthday, the day Kyle went to the Grand Jury, and on this day...the wind blew and blew and blew.


When we got to the cemetary we stood in a circle around her grave. Many friends shared thoughts about the last year, and about her loss. Kyle and I made some remarks as well. Then we lit candles in her memory and sang a few songs, "I am a child of God", "We love to see the Temple", and "Families can be together Forever". After singing we got ready to say a prayer just as the sun set in the west with an amazing spray of orange, purple, and pink blended into a majestic sky. The moment was simply perfect.


Right before the prayer though...and all of a sudden...the sprinklers turned on and began to spray us all...this was very comical...and let me tell you it just added to this perfect day. The kids played in the water...as the adults talked, and when it got so dark we could barely see we drove home. Some friends visited, but overall, the day really seemed low key, and simple. The peace that surrounds me even now is a comfort I am learning to appreciate and hopeing for everyday.


I will include some more pictures...but these are some of my favorites. I hope you enjoy them as well.

No comments: